Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sleeping alone

So after 3 nights of what I thought to be the most horrible experience of my young son's life, he has done it. He slept through the night. But first a little backstory.

For the past 3 weeks, he had gone back to a sleep pattern that more closely resembled a newborn than a 4 month old. Waking every hour wanting to nurse and napping frequently during the day but not for more than an hour at a time. I was exhausted and so I thought about what we could do about it because I knew I couldn't continue like we were going. So after some thinking, I moved him into his crib on Saturday night, and it was horrible. He cried and screamed most of the night, and I got very little sleep. Sunday night was better. He only woke up a handful of times, and I only nursed him twice. I huge improvement from nursing him every hour on the hour only a week before. He was able to put himself back to sleep without needing to be rocked, patted or nursed down. And then last night, we followed our usual nighttime routine: bathtime, new diaper, lotion, pajamas, story time, final feeding, and prayer time. Then straight down in the crib. He slept from 9:00 to 4:30. I was amazed! I woke up a couple times during the night and listened to the monitor, and Barrett was sleeping soundly. Not even a peep.

It is amazing watching him grow up right before my eyes, and I know I will miss the early morning snuggles and late night feedings when they are gone. But for right now, I am in awe of my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment