Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Letter to my son at 6 months


Barrett,

Another 4 months have passed in your life. Days filled with new adventures, trials, joys and sorrows. I can hardly believe how quickly you have grown. No longer the rolly polly newborn squirming in my arms but rather an attentive infant with an agenda of your own. You closely watch around you now with a piercing gaze as if trying to understand the very nature of the things: the dogs as they pass, a cartoon character on television, one of your toys flung across the room. Everything receives your undivided and uncompromising attention. You have a personality now, easy going like your daddy with a few eccentric streaks just like me. Your laugh is contagious, and you smile so often now. Except when you don't which right now is just because of the teething pain. Hopefully that will be remedied soon enough when the 2 bottom teeth emerge from their hiding place below your gumline. You sleep in your own bed now, and believe me that was one of the hardest things I think the two of us have ever done. It was a long weekend when we moved you into your room, but 3 days in and you were sleeping like a champ. Thank you for that. Now, we both can get some good sleep most nights. Still breastfeeding, but with real food thrown in for good measure. Peas and peaches seem to be your favorites right now, but applesauce and avocados are up there too. However, your greatest accomplishment to date is your willingness to use your baby potty. Your father and I are so proud of you, and we know it will make the transition to the big boy potty much easier when the time comes.

I can honestly say I never expected to be this in love with you. I knew I would love you as my son, but the intensity of this love is nothing I have ever known before. You are truly the light of my life and watching you grow is the reward for waiting so long for you. I love you with all my heart.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment