Friday, July 17, 2009

One year older...none the wiser

Thursday, May 15, 2008



***WARNING! This post is extremely angry and cynical. If you are faint of heart or are easily offended, you may want to skip this one. You've been warned.***

So here it is. Two days past my 28th birthday. 28. 2-8

It's been ten years since I graduated high school, and the whole situation has me a bit nostalgic. But then again, not really. It's a complicated emotion. I mean, who ARE these people who say high school is the "best years of your life." Are they serious?! Because if I could go back and relive any point in my history, I can tell you without hesitation it would not be high school. Other than the few (and I do mean few) meaningful friendships and relationships, those 4 tulmultuous years spent in Columbia High was basically a mild and legal version of torture.

Now, don't get me wrong. It served its purpose, and blah blah blah. But if you're honest with yourself, high school is a joke. It's a little more than a popularity contest that bleeds into your adult life. If you're from a small town who you were in high school is probably who you are as an adult. If you were the jerk who got his/her jollies from ragging on everyone else, you're probably still that jerk. If you were an outcast, you're probably still an outcast but were always really talented but no one bothered to notice while we were all enduring the torture together. The stereotypes could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

I've heard a lot of rumors going around about our reunion, and let me just put this one to rest. I'm not going. Sorry, but I'm not. I don't think standing around in a huddled circle having repeated 5 minute awkward conversations about our lives sounds very appealing. If you're not in my life right now for one reason or another, I can sum up my life in a paragraph for you.

Married for 3 years now, no kids. And no my life isn't empty because we don't have kids yet, but thanks for thinking you are better than me or more fulfilled than me because you do have kids. I still have my freedom.
I'm an account manager at a private PR/CS firm in San Marcos, and my husband is in the military and works as the worship leader at our church.
We have two dogs: Clementine and Spartacus, a catahoula mix and a miniature schnauzer respectively.
We just bought our first home.

That's it. At least that's as much as we would discuss in those awkward conversations repeating the same thing over and over again. Because in the end, people go to class reunions to do one thing...make themselves feel better about their lives by comparing how they turned out in relation to everyone else. And to whisper behind everyone's backs just like they did 10 years ago. Sorry but I won't be fodder for anyone's water cooler gossip the following Monday. You can just wonder about me.

***I told you so.***

No comments:

Post a Comment